LASIK surgery is the most common, widely accepted & used surgery by various doctors, practitioners, and healthcare providers. The surgery can help you get rid of your glasses or contacts. However, when considering LASIK, it is one of the first and most important things people ask- How long does LASIK last?
Surely, if you are undergoing surgery, it should last long unless it is just a waste of time and money. LASIK is a permanent vision correction solution that helps you best with your vision prescription.
However, a few factors to consider while performing LASIK include age, health, and medical conditions. Some people believe that LASIK may last up to 10 years, while others say it lasts longer. Let’s study further.
What is LASIK?
When the light hits the eye lens, it bends and is focused on the retina, creating an image of what you see. This is called refraction. But, when the light doesn’t bend correctly, it is not focused on the retina, and the object image is not formed, leading to blurry vision. This is called a refraction error.
LASIK can help you correct the three forms of refractive errors, and these can be:
- Nearsightedness (myopia): This type of image error happens when you look at things far away from you. However, the image is sharp when you look at the things close to you.
- Farsightedness (hyperopia): Here, the vision is sharp when you look at things that are far away but things that are close look blurry.
- Astigmatism: Here, the vision imperfection causes blurry vision in the shape of the lens in front of the eye.
LASIK is an image or vision correction surgery that utilizes lights and small blades. It utilizes laser light which helps you correct your image formation. When you see any object, the light bends correctly and can help you form the image on your retina. After LASIK, the results are clear and sharp and help you see equally the far objects and close objects. The goal of Lasik is to correct vision issues and reduce the person’s dependency on glasses and contacts.
How long does LASIK last?
There is a myth that LASIK starts wearing off after 10 years, but, in reality, LASIK is permanent. LASIK helps you with the permanent correction of your eye vision and helps you with the correction of refraction errors. This means that it doesn’t wear off. However, the surgery may become less effective if you have any underlying medical condition like diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, or blood-related issues.
For example, imagine that you are at the age of 40s or 50s. The eye’s crystalline lens becomes stiffer and may cause presbyopia- a medical condition that makes it difficult to focus on near-sighted objects. This is where the LASIK surgery may permanently impact your eyes.
Another reason LASIK surgery’s success rate may change is the presence of cataracts. It is a common belief that LASIK can help you correct the medical condition- cataract. However, many people can still develop the same medical conditions even after surgery. After you have the LASIK surgery, the cataract may impact your vision and may impact you. This may further lead to having any other additional surgery in the future.
What is the preferable age for LASIK?
When you are younger, anywhere between 7 and 23 years old, you may notice a change in your vision. This change can be quite big that may develop or mature, just like the rest of the body parts, or may become severe. If there is any vision problem like nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism, the problems can change along with the change in vision of the eyes themselves.
Young adults or people in their early twenties are often interested in LASIK. This is because the best-featured result is removing dependency on contacts and lenses. Also, at this age, the vision becomes “stable” and doesn’t change over time. This may happen because of the change in the body and a lot of other changes in the vision that may become permanent with age.
To know about the most asked question- How long does LASIK last? You must be clear about the age factors for LASIK. The fact is that the body doesn’t stop changing, neither any part nor the eyes. The changes don’t become a huge problem for many of us until we turn 40.
Most of us start noticing the thing when we are around 40. People around 40 begin noticing the change in their vision- the items that used to be clear and crisp earlier are no longer clear to the eyes. The lens becomes stiff and cloudy with dust, debris, and other pollution-causing agents. The aging process results in various eye-related vision problems, such as cataracts, presbyopia, nearsightedness, or farsightedness.
How much does it cost to have a LASIK eye surgery?
The cost of LASIK may vary between the minimum price of INR 25,000 to INR 60,000. It may include preoperative evaluations, postoperative follow-ups, and the need to have medications or additional procedures. This price range may also include the follow-up procedure called LASIK enhancement which is done to correct the vision problem where too few tissues are removed initially.
LASIK is considered to be safe and the most-considerable procedure by doctors. Therefore, it doesn’t cover any insurance coverage.
How can you choose the best doctor for LASIK?
When choosing the doctor to perform LASIK eye surgery, you may have to consider many of the factors and the things listed below-
- You may talk to your friends, families, or relatives who may have the LASIK surgery in the past.
- Choose or select the doctor who can provide you with the facilities with a high success rate.
- Choose a clinic where you may not have to spend a lot on your traveling. You can choose the clinic that is near your residence.
- Select the doctor or the clinic that may help you with choices like the most preferred way to have LASIK- all laser, bladed, or custom.
- Compare the cost and get the most affordable and suitable option for yourself.
- Carefully check the clinic and ask for the doctor’s degree or certification. Some clinics provide heavily discounted prices and let you bargain the way you want.
- Determine what is exactly covered in your package for LASIK. Does the clinic also help you with medications or extra spending?
- The most important thing is to stay comfortable with the doctor. If you are not comfortable, you can choose to change the doctor.
LASIK is the most preferable and widely used surgery for the eyes. It results in permanent and helps you with the reshaping of your eye surface. It can improve your vision and may help you with a long-lasting impact. The question- How long does LASIK last? Depends on how or what kind of medical conditions you are going through or your age.